Farm Life

Farm Life

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Noise, Mud, Frogs, and.... My Cup Runneth Over!

    On any given day, you can find bikes in the yard, matchbox cars in mud puddles, Spiderman clinging to the back of my couch, woodworking projects on my kitchen table, and hunting gear ready to go. There will be work boots piled by my door, army men strewn about, fishing poles at the ready, and bare cupboards. Yes, I am a mom of boys. Four boys. My days are filled with chaos and it is always loud. I am a chef. I am always cooking and doing dishes. Always. I never stop cooking! Did I mention never? I never stop cooking! It is like feeding a pack of ravenous wolves! I was never prepared for the amount of food that they can put away! It seems like I just figure out the mighty portion of food that needs to be prepared, only to find out a few days later that it doesn't cut it anymore. Their growing bodies are demanding more! I am a maid. I find rocks, matchbox cars, toy soldiers, nails, bullets, jack knives, marbles, fish hooks, and many more surprises in the boy's pockets as I do laundry. I sweep mud from my floors. I can't keep a tablecloth clean. Ever. I am a referee. Rough housing is the norm around here. Mom's breakable treasure's sometimes fall victim to a hurtling ball, fist, or someone's noggin. Occasionally, I just let them sort it out for themselves. At times they just need to beat the stuffing out of each other, get it out of their systems, and then rejoin the civilized. I am a medic. Good thing this mama is a farm girl with good patching up skills. I have assisted many a farm animal in the healing process and don't mind blood. I can attend to a pencil up the nose (yes, that really happened), scraped knees, poison sumac, and jack knife mishaps. I am a disciplinarian. Boys do not like sitting on their bed's when they could be out and about getting into mischief! My duties never end! I have been handed bugs without notice, found fake spiders in my bed, been tickled unmercifully, and have been hoodwinked. I have been shot with a blow gun. I have discovered dead squirrels in my freezer, legos in my boots, and have had my house plants upturned. I have had my van mired in mud, and been jumped sky high by sudden fireworks. I look in the mirror and wonder why my hair is sticking out fifteen different ways, how my shirt got peanut butter hand prints, and why I'm still in my pajama pants? When I dig into my purse I pull out a toy tractor, matchbox cars, and Ninja Turtles. Leaving the house is like moving Patton's 8th Army. Chronically late, with any one boy leaving the house minus a boot, hat, or jacket. One has jeans that are stained and ripped out, and the other can't find his belt and his pants are falling down. I am exhausted! Some mornings I wonder if I can pull this wrecked body out of bed for another hootin' and hollerin' day. But.......                                                                                 
 ...these four boys make me happy beyond any words I can put to this page. 

                                                 Words are not adequate....
  
     My days are filled with laughter, snuggles and kisses. I get grins from dirty faced little boys and bear hugs from boys bigger than I. I treasure the little moments, and do not take these precious boys for granted. They give with a smile and a big heart. I have the bird houses and feeders to prove it. I have received many thoughtful gifts made from the heart. Painted pictures are framed on my walls, and notes are tucked into scrapbooks. I have opened my messages to find a "Mom, I love you to the moon and back" from a sixteen year old sweetheart. I have soothed a babies tears after a fall, and gained two baby hands on mama's cheeks, and a spit covered kiss as a "thank-you". I watch with pride as they learn to ride bikes, to read, play the fiddle, and drive a car. Creativity is proven time and again within skills such as carpentry, hunting, welding, horticulture, and more. I have heard, "I love you sooooooooo much mommy", and "I love you this big", and "mama! You're as pretty as a ladybug!!!!" How can you just not love this? I love the good things and I love the hard things. It is all my life. I love being a mom of boys! I feel protected and loved. I love the adventures and all the fun. It's baby giggles, and funny faces. Pig piles and chocolate chip cookies. It's laughing with your teenager until your cheeks hurt. Hay forts, snow forts, and blanket forts. Story time and sleepy boys. It's noise, mud, frogs, and....

...my cup runneth over!

10 comments:

  1. I have 4 girls. You would think lace and sweetness. Some how that got lost on my girls. They hunt, fish, camp, and hate the color pink. One is even learning to fly a plane. Barbies tended to be found with the body in one area and the head with a string around the neck in another area. They all carry knives in their pockets. I did have one good sign, one has started carrying a purse. So there is still hope. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! So no tea parties and fancy stuff going on there! :)

      Delete
  2. I love this so much! Thanks for sharing! My Carly has two boys and I had to stay with her for a couple of months after her surgery and let me tell you I didn't know boys! Everything you say on here I found out just last year...I had girls....boys are different..well than my girls anyway. I thought I'd die from the rough housing...whew I hand it to you girl and to Michelle. My one tomboy Catie did pull the heads off many Barbie Dolls..though..Good stories...

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! I LOVE your post Muck Boots & Lipstick. I have only 1 daughter but I can relate to everything you are saying! Such a cute, upbeat, "real" description of farm-life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post and so full of love!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing .You are an inspiration to me!.I am a divorced single mom of a wonderful son .I was divorced before my son was even born, and my son has never met his father. I remember desiring a son even though I knew everyone else probably thought I would want a girl ,especially since I would be raising the child alone . He is an amazing little boy and I am very blessed. Life as a single mom is tough ,It is not the life I planned and imagined I would have. Thank you for reminding me that even when the days are stressful ,and my role as both mom ,dad ,and provider is a bit overwhelming that the joy of boys can still be experienced ......baseball through the window and all ! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah, I was divorced when my first boy was only a year old. I have been where you are as a single mom. It is very hard, but little boys are a blessing! Knowing that he was counting on me kept me going when things got tough. Thanks for sharing some of your story! :)

      Delete